top of page

Lodge History

William T. Wallace Lodge No. 134, PHA.

10th Masonic District of Maryland

Home of the MWPGM Lee A. Taylor, Jr.

Our Namesake: William Thomas Wallace

“A Mason among Masons” (1890-1985) 

                                                                             Bro. William T. Wallace was born May 29th, 1890, in Calvert County,                                                                                          Maryland; he moved to Baltimore City and was an active member of John                                                                              Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church. 

                                                                             William T. Wallace was affiliated with many Masonic organizations. He was                                                                              a Past Master of Joseph L. H. Smith Lodge No. 54; honorary member of                                                                                  Corinthian Lodge No. 62, Jerusalem Lodge No. 59, King Solomon Lodge                                                                                No. 7, Mount Horeb Lodge No. 25, William F. Taylor Lodge No. 57, St.                                                                                    Johns Lodge No. 5, Mount Moriah Lodge No. 56, and Tuscan Lodge No.                                                                                90. 

                                                                             He served as Grand Lecturer for many years and was elected Deputy                                                                                      Grand Master under the late Grand Master Willard W. Allen. He served                                                                                  as High Priest of Key- stone Chapter No. 10, Royal Arch masons, and was                                                                                elected Grand High Priest of Hiram Grand Chapter, Royal Arch Masons                                                                                 (PHA) and Past Eminent Commander of the Emmanuel Commandery No.                                                                                4, Knights Templar. 

                                                                             He was a member of Jerusalem Temple No. 4, AEAONMS (PHA), Past                                                                                    Patron and life member of Eureka Chapter No. 11, Order of Eastern Star,   Past Joshua of Emmanuel Court No. 4, Heroines of Jericho, and a member of Eureka’s Pride Ways and Means. 

He was especially proud of William T. Wallace Lodge No. 134 of Severn, Mary- land (Ft. Meade Army Base) that had been named in his honor. William T. Wallace was highly respected by his employers, his family, his church, his fraternity, and his community for his quiet and efficient manner and friendly relationships. 

Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Maryland

The Origins of Masonry in Maryland


The First African Independent Grand Lodge of North America No. 1 of the State of

Pennsylvania, whose own authority came directly from Prince Hall, warranted the first

lodge of black Masons constituted in the state of Maryland on February 2, 1825. This

lodge was styled as African Friendship Lodge of Baltimore No. 6. Thereafter the same

authority warranted Saint James Lodge and Enterprise Lodge. In 1845, again with the

able assistance of Pennsylvania, these three (3) subordinate lodges formed the First

Colored Grand Lodge, A.F.& A.M. of the state of Maryland, with Rev. James A. Handy

as Grand Master.


In 1847, following the establishment of the National Grand Lodge, another grand

lodge was organized in Maryland pursuant to its authority and styled as Union Grand

Lodge. These two Grand Lodges remained in the field until 1876, when, being

convinced that the object each Grand Master sought to accomplish would be better

served by a union of the two, efforts to consolidate were made by the leading

members of the two organizations. On September 12, 1876, the two Grand Lodges

merged. In 1878, the name was changed to The Most Worshipful United Grand Lodge

of the State of Maryland. In 1947, the name of the Grand Lodge was again changed to

The Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Maryland and its Jurisdictions, Inc.,

which name it still bears.


Present Day Masonry in Maryland


In 1960, Grand Master Willard W. Allen stepped down and Grand Master Samuel T. Daniels assumed the mantle of leadership. Later in that same year, the Grand Lodge moved to its present location at 1307 Eutaw Place at Lanvale Street and the Temple was duly named after Grand Master Allen. In 1998 Grand Master Daniels stepped down, at which

time the Honorable Shelton D. Redden was elected Grand Master, which he served in that capacity for twelve years. In 2010, Melvin M. Thorpe was elected Grand Master, he served for four years.


On Sunday, December 7, 2014, the Craft nominated and elected the Honorable Lee A. Taylor, Jr., as Most Worshipful Grand Master. Grand Master Taylor has the distinction of being the only sitting Grand Master in Maryland's history to have also served as Grand Worthy Patron. He comes into office with a great love of the principles of Freemasonry and vision to increase Prince Hall Freemasonry's community involvement and charitable contributions to the great citizens of Maryland.


Currently there are eighty-one (82) constituent lodges that constitute Maryland and its jurisdiction. Sixty-six (66) are within the state of Maryland, eight (8) are in Germany, five (5) are in England, four (4) are in Italy, one (1) is in Belgium, and one (1) in Kuwait. Maryland Prince Hall Lodges look back with pride to their Mother Lodge and to Prince Hall's life and leadership. They each regard themselves as descendants from the Grand Lodge of England, from which Prince Hall received his own authority more than two centuries ago.

bottom of page